STCW (MCA) Elementary First Aid
No events to show
This one day course will equip students with the skills and knowledge to be able to take immediate action upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency at sea.
This course forms part of the requirements for basic training for seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship. It is designed to form one part of the STCW Basic Safety Training Week and approval is MCA to STCW 95, A-V1/1-3.
Particular emphasis is placed on scene management and protecting the casualty and first aider from further risks as well as the knowledge to deal with resuscitation, control of bleeding, shock management, treatment of burns and scalds. Students will also learn about using bandages and other contents of a basic first aid kit as well as how to transport a casualty to safety.
The course is a mixture of theory and practical sessions, including power point presentations, videos, demonstrations and hands on practice using manikins and will cover:
- Casualty assessment and resuscitation
- Basic life support
- Priority of emergency care, rescuer safety, dynamic risk assessment
- Unconscious casualties
- Hypothermia, drowning and cold shock
- Sickness and dehydration
- Burns, scolds and shock
- Spinal injuries and immobilisation
- Improvisation techniques, documentation, records, replacement of materials, legal issues
- Rescue and transportation of casualty
- Medical advice and assistance
STCW 95 Basic Training - Elementary First Aid