STCW (MCA) Proficiency in Medical First Aid
Approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, this four day course is designed for seafarers who are designated to provide medical first aid on board ship in accordance with STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
This practical four-day course is for seafarers designated to provide first aid on board ship and for those needing certificates of competency. The course will equip you with the knowledge to apply immediate first aid to an injured casualty and to a person suffering illness on board.
- The course balances theoretical input with practical scenario based situations in a maritime emergency environment.
- Use of a purpose built ship’s medical room is available and live, ‘casualties’ (actors) increase the sense of realism.
Core Modules: Medical First Aid On Board
- Taking a medical history - measurement of vital signs
- Resuscitation and administration of oxygen
- Trauma scene management
- Poisoning, gas and fume exposure
- Medical emergencies
- Wounds, bleeding, fractures, shock
- Hypothermia and Hyperthermia
- Methods of casualty transfer
- Hygiene and health techniques
- Head injuries
- AED use
- Medical equipment management
- Spinal injury management
DDRC Professional Services is committed to the delivery of high quality training and support to our clients. We pride ourselves on listening to our client’s requirements and providing cost effective, high quality solutions tailored to client needs. DDRC Professional Services operates to the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. The procedures employed conform to client and company requirements and ensure the health, safety and welfare of all clients, preventing exposure to unacceptable risk.
After successfully completing an MCA-approved training programme in Medical First Aid you will meet the standards of competency specified in section A-VI/4-1 of the STCW Code.
Updating of the Proficiency in Medical First Aid is not currently required under the STCW Code and therefore no refresher training is required for the revalidation of Certificates of Competency.
There are no pre-requisites.