No events to show
Approved by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, this course is designed for seafarers who are designated to provide medical first aid on board ship in accordance with STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended.
- The course balances theoretical input with practical scenario based situations in a maritime emergency environment.
- Use of a purpose built ship’s medical room is available and live, ‘casualties’ (actors) increase the sense of realism.
Core Modules: Medical First Aid On Board
- Taking a medical history - measurement of vital signs
- Resuscitation and administration of oxygen
- Trauma scene management
- Poisoning, gas and fume exposure
- Medical emergencies
- Wounds, bleeding, fractures, shock
- Hypothermia and Hyperthermia
- Methods of casualty transfer
- Hygiene and health techniques
- Head injuries
- AED use
- Medical equipment management
- Spinal injury management
Duration and Recertification
- The course is delivered over 4 days. There is currently no MCA recommendation for recertification.