DMAC Level 1 – Medical Assessment of Divers (Medical Examiner of Divers)
13Nov2023Mon 8:30 AM - Tue 5:00 PM
Event is fullJoin waiting list
- £600.00 incl. VAT
This 2 day course is aimed at any doctor with an interest in diving medicine in the UK or abroad, as well as being one of the required qualifications for becoming a HSE Approved Medical Examiner of Divers (AMED). This course should be booked in conjunction with the RCSEd online Dive Medicine Module. Please note this course is delivered in English.
This DMAC Level 1 course provides training to enable doctors to perform the periodic "Fitness to dive assessments" of working and recreational /sports divers and hyperbaric chamber workers. Following successful completion of this course a doctor working in the UK may contact HSE and apply to become an HSE Approved Medical Examiner of Divers (AMED).
Students MUST register and complete the separate RCSEd (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh) Online Diving Medicine Module PRIOR to attending this two-day course. Please see the RCSEd page for more information.
- Diving physics and physiology
- Safety in hyperbaric chambers
- Chamber and diving equipment
- Decompression illness (DCI)
- Fitness to dive regulations and standards (recreational and commercial) for divers and tunnellers
- Fitness to dive discussion and case histories
- Fitness to dive practical assessments and techniques including skills stations
- Fitness to dive after DCI
- Medications under pressure
- Practical training under pressure (pool/chamber)
- Funding, resources and support societies
- Clinical governance and risk assessment
- Management responsibilities
This two-day course is primarily classroom based, incorporating a chamber dive and practical sessions.
For more information on becoming an HSE AMED please see - http://www.hse.gov.uk/diving/amedsapproval.htm
Please note that lunches are not provided as part of the course but that there are local amenities available to you.
This course, all of its lectures, practical sessions and exam is in English.