The Offshore Installations and Pipeline Works (First Aid) Regulations 1989 placed a duty on those in control of offshore installations, pipeline works, or any associated activities to make provision for persons to administer first aid and emergency treatment to those who become ill or injured at work. This is a UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) approved offshore medic training course which encompasses all aspects of the legal requirements, alongside the latest clinical thinking.
The aim of the Offshore Medic Course is to prepare someone who already has high degree of medical knowledge and understanding to work in the offshore environment and is a four week course.
All course instructors are members of the Royal College of Surgeons Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care.
- The course balances theoretical aspects with practical scenarios in a simulated offshore and maritime emergency environment
- Use of a purpose built ship’s medical room and hyperbaric chamber environment is also available
- ‘Live casualty’ actors increase the sense of realism
- Clinical attachments
Core Modules: Offshore Medic
- Offshore First Aid which is taught at an advanced level
- All students will be expected to deliver 30-45 min lesson assessed and marked by IQA assessor.
- Diving injuries including DCI and Hyperbarics
- One day confined space awareness
- One day working at height
- IV cannulation & IO access
- Wound care & suturing
- Penthrox administration & other drugs
- One day with DDRC Diving Doctor covering: Neuro examination; chest examination including needle compression, Thoraquik & chest drain insertion
- Abdominal examination and acute medical/surgical emergencies offshore
- Pre-Hospital Thromolysis
- General discussion (minor ailments) including eyes, ears & skin conditions
- Oral examination (30mins) minor ailments inc. asthma, epilepsy, diabetes & dermatological conditions
- Two days in-house Pre Hospital Advanced Life Support delivered by DDRC resus trainer
- ED placements for the rest of the week
- ED placements
- Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety (online course)
Accreditations Offered - HSE
An HSE Offshore Medic Certificate will be awarded to students completing the course, along with an HSE Offshore First Aid Certificate. The certificates are valid for 3 years, after which time a Refresher course will be required.
Applicants wishing to attend the Offshore Medic Course must meet the criteria set out in the Offshore Installations and Pipeline Works (First Aid) Regulations 1989, (SI 1989 No. 1671). They state that the student is either:
- Registered Nurse - Adult, who appear on the NMC register, and have a suitable portfolio with at least 3 years post registration experience.
- RMN’s with other nursing qualifications, (RGN), who appear on the NMC register and have a suitable portfolio with at least 3 years post registration in general nursing.
- Naval Medical Assistants, who have attained the rate of Leading Medical Assistant and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- Army Medical Assistants (CMT1, RMA1), who have attained the rank of Corporal and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- RAF Medical Assistants, who have attained the rank of Corporal and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- Paramedic, with 3 years post registration experience
If you are unsure if you are eligible to attend, please contact email@example.com and provide a copy of your CV to be reviewed.
Please note that you will be required to provide evidence that you meet the above pre-requisites. Additionally, in order to be able to attend the ED placement, students must have a Basic DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) Check (formally known as the CRB). If you do not already have a current DBS Certificate, you can obtain one by going to https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record and completing the online application.
DDRC Professional Services is committed to the delivery of high quality training and support to our clients. We pride ourselves on listening to our client’s requirements and providing cost effective, high quality solutions tailored to client needs. DDRC Professional Services operates to the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System. The procedures employed conform to client and company requirements and ensure the health, safety and welfare of all clients, preventing exposure to unacceptable risk.