The Offshore Medic Refresher course is required every three years and includes training and assessment in CPR, first aid, AED, oxygen administration and intravenous/osseous techniques.
The HSE Offshore Medic Refresher Blended Learning Package option allows the initial learning to be completed via distance learning over 2-3 months followed by one week attendance at DDRC. Students complete distance learning modules supported by a tutor, followed by an assessment after each module. Students will need to complete three assignments prior to attending the 5 day practical module in Plymouth. A pass mark of 75% in all modules is required prior to entry onto the practical week.
- HSE Offshore Medic certificate
- HSE Offshore First Aid certificate
- DDRC Certificate of Attendance: Oral examination on Offshore Medicine by Physician
- DDRC Certificate of Attendance: Thrombolysis
Students will need an in-date HSE Offshore Medic certificate.
During this course students can attend an emergency department in an unsupervised role and so will require an in-date DBS certificate (formerly known as CRB) or equivalent of your region. Please ensure you have sent a scanned copy of your certificate along with your passport photo to email@example.com
Students must meet the criteria set out in the Offshore Installations and Pipeline Works (First Aid) Regulations 1989, (SI 1989 No. 1671), that is either:
- Registered Nurse - Adult, who appear on the NMC register, and have a suitable portfolio with at least 3 years post registration experience.
- RMN’s with other nursing qualifications, (RGN), who appear on the NMC register and have a suitable portfolio with at least 3 years post registration in general nursing.
- Naval Medical Assistants, who have attained the rate of Leading Medical Assistant and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- Army Medical Assistants (CMT1, RMA1), who have attained the rank of Corporal and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- RAF Medical Assistants, who have attained the rank of Corporal and have a suitable portfolio with at least 5 years service.
- Paramedic, with 3 years post registration experience